Cookies are small text files, downloaded from websites to your computer or smartphone as you browse and use the Internet. There are two main types of cookie:
- A session cookie only exists for the duration of your visit to a website. They recognise your computer or smartphone as you move between pages. These cookies can be used, for example, to maintain secure logins.
- A persistent cookie stays on your device for a set period of time and can be used, for example, to remember you when you next visit the website.
The source of each cookie also varies. Some cookies are owned and created by the website you are viewing (‘first-party’ cookies), but others are supplied by an independent company (‘third-party’ cookies).
None of the cookies used on our site store personally identifiable information.
We use both our own (first party) and partner companies’ (third party) cookies to support these activities.
When referring to cookies, this also includes similar online tracking devices such as web beacons and flash cookies that we may use.
Some cookies are essential for our website to work correctly. For example, our session cookie remembers your journey through our site so you get the right information and application about the products that interest you. If you disable all cookies through your browser settings, then certain parts of this site will no longer work.
The cookies we use
The types of cookies which we use are:
- System cookies: Cookies that are generated by our servers. These cookies are essential for our systems to operate and they are all session cookies. These types of cookies wouldn’t be blocked even if you set your browser not to accept cookies.
- Our cookies: Cookies that we place on your computer to ensure our website works correctly and to offer you the best experience possible and our entire range of online services.
- Third-party cookies: These are cookies that we place on your computer on behalf of our partners. We use these cookies to tracking revenue from our suppliers, analytics to improve our site, and advertising targeting. Accepting these cookies will enable our site to properly function.
What the cookies we use do
Our website uses both session and persistent cookies to:
- Gather information about how customers use our website, including which pages they visit and which parts they click on;
- Test new content and evaluate its effectiveness;
- Temporarily store data as part for example, of customer surveys;
- Identify user behaviour for marketing purposes e.g. to enable advertisers to show you adverts that are relevant to you (also known as targeted [behavioural] advertising).
You can enable or disable cookies on your smartphone and/or internet browser. Please check the instructions or preference settings to do so. You can also find useful guidance and information on how to manage your cookies at allaboutcookies.org.
If you choose, you can set your browser to inform you when cookies are sent or you may choose not to accept cookies. If you haven’t done this we will, and our third party partners may, issue cookies when you visit the site.