1. Your personal information
MI Money Limited trading as Lightbulbloans.co.uk (We) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. MI Money is part of the Media Ingenuity Group, which also includes Media Ingenuity Limited (the MI Group). The MI Group also owns the brands Totally Money (www.totallymoney.com), Granite (www.granitecard.co.uk) and Fluid (www.fluid.co.uk) (the MI Group brands).
The Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) imposes obligations on companies that collect personal information as to how that information is collected, stored and processed. As required by the Act, we are registered as a data controller and details of our registration can be found here: ico.org.uk/. This policy explains:
- A. What personal information we collect from you (section 2).
- B. How we store your information (section 3).
- C. How we use your information (section 4).
- D. Who we may disclose your information to (section 5).
- E. Your rights regarding your personal information (section 6).
- F. If you are applying for the Lightbulb Loan, an outline of how Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd and Retail Money Market Limited, trading as RateSetter (RateSetter) will use the information contained in your application and who they will disclose it to (section 7).
2. What information we collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- A. Information that you provide when you obtain quotations for products and services marketed through lightbulbloans.co.uk (our site) and information that you provide if you decide to apply for such products and services. The provision of our service may also require us to store the information you provide together with details of your financial information and to combine the information you provide on separate visits to our site. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- B. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- C. We (or a third party service provider (“Service Provider”) on our behalf) may also ask you to review our service or complete surveys that we may use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- D. Details of actions you carry out through our site in the fulfilment your eligibility search requests by Lightbulb, for example Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd.
- E. Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- F. Information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration, to report aggregate information to our advertisers and to enable us to analyse trends of behaviour. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- G. Information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. For example, they enable us to store information about your preferences so we can customise our site according to your individual interests and speed up your searches. You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our site.
3. Where we store your personal data
- A. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for any longer than is necessary. The maximum period we will retain your personal information for will be 10 years.
- C. The internet is not a secure medium. However we have put in place various security procedures to protect your information. Firewalls are used to block unauthorised traffic to the servers and the actual servers are located in a secure location which can only be accessed by authorised personnel. We use industry-standard secure sockets layer (SSL) 128-bit encryption technology to ensure that all your personal and transactional information is encrypted before transmission to those Product Partners who use encryption technology. Our robust security policies are to safeguard your privacy from unauthorised access/improper use and we will be continue to implement ever-more secure technology as it becomes available.
4. How we use your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- A. To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- B. To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and RateSetter via our site.
- C. To process a request for a quotation or application for a product or service you make through our site.
- D. To carry out a search against your credit file where you apply for a Lightbulb Loan, as described in more detail under section 7.
- E. To allow you to access and use our services and to participate in interactive features of our service (if any), when you choose to do so.
- F. To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer; to personalise aspects of our overall service to you; to notify you about changes to our service and to analyse trends in your behaviour while on our site.
- G. For remarketing and checking eligibility of products and services by us or other MI Group brands where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes, on a monthly basis. You can opt out of this service at any time.
- H. To provide aggregate information about our users to third party advertisers (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day) to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target.
5. Where we disclose your information to third parties
By submitting information into our site, you are consenting for your personal data to be used by us, Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd and RateSetter. This consent applies to both ordinary personal data, as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998.
Please be aware that once you use our site or our services, you will be regarded as having given your consent to us disclosing your personal information to the following parties:
- B. When you apply for a Lightbulb Loan quotation, we will disclose your information to Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd who will access your credit file and determine whether you are likely to be accepted for a Lightbulb Loan. Further information about how Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd will use your personal details is set out in section 7 below.
- C. Other third parties that might be able to offer an alternative product in the event that you are not eligible or approved for a Lightbulb Loan. With your consent we will share your eligibility results within the Media Ingenuity Group in order to identify other lenders who may have products which meet your requirements. Their service is provided free of charge to consumers, but a commission may be received from lenders should you choose to proceed.
- F. We may share your personal information within the Media Ingenuity Group for the purpose of marketing, news alerts, surveys and offers. You may opt out of these services at any time.
- G. We may disclose your personal information to third parties: (i) in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; and (b) if MI Money Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets. Unless you have given us your consent, we will not provide information about you to companies outside our group for their own marketing purposes.
6. Your right to opt out
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can opt out of receiving Lightbulb or MI Group marketing messages at any time by:
- 1. Ticking or unticking boxes on the forms we use to collect your data.
- 2. By clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link on any marketing email sent to you; or
- 3. By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and writing ‘Unsubscribe’ in the subject line.
All unsubscribe requests are processed within 7 working days.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you, and should be addressed to the Data Protection Officer, Media Ingenuity Group, Churchill House,142-146 Old Street, London EC1V 9BW.
7. Loan Applications
THIS SECTION IS ONLY RELEVANT TO YOU IF YOU WISH TO ACCEPT A QUOTE FOR A Lightbulb Loan
If you accept a quotation for a Lightbulb Loan, when you select ‘Accept Quote’ on our website, you are authorising Lightbulb to provide the personal data captured on the eligibility form and the outcome of your eligibility search to RateSetter.
RateSetter will complete a full credit assessment, including verification and fraud checks, in approving your loan application. Terms and Conditions and the Privacy Statement relating to RateSetter are available on their website.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
- Your credit file will not be provided to you directly.
- You agree that information supplied as a result of the initial eligibility check can be shared with the RateSetter (for them to analyse use of this service and make improvements to their processes).
- The original data returned from Experian (HD Decisions) Ltd will be visible to the Media Ingenuity Group only, who will convert this data into a successful or unsuccessful outcome. Only this outcome will be shared with RateSetter and the original data will not be shared outside the Media Ingenuity Group.
- This process will not have any adverse impact upon your credit rating and will not be visible on your credit file to any lender, including RateSetter.
- Even if we indicate that you are likely to be accepted or have been pre-approved for a Lightbulb Loan, this is no guarantee that you will be offered the facility, as RateSetter is entirely responsible for the decision on whether to accept you for a Lightbulb Loan or not using their own lending criteria. RateSetter is not bound by any indication we may communicate to you as they will complete independent verification and fraud prevention checks.